[openstack-dev] RFC: Classnames in config parameters harmful to users / upgrades

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 7 12:23:03 UTC 2013

>> "Official position", heh.
>>
>> I'd say that we should not be changing configuration options in
>> incompatible ways without a deprecation period (of a release cycle)
>> unless we're talking about a really obscure config option that is highly
>> unlikely to have been used by real users.
>>
>> Got examples of where we didn't follow that general rule?
>
> I was mostly thinking of the change from 'connection_type' to
> 'compute_driver', though that was in Folsom dev, rather than
> Grizzly. Looking at a diff of nova.conf-sample from folsom
> vs grizzly, the only significant change I see

connection_type => compute_driver was deprecated in F (will throw a
deprecation warning an explanation, all the old options still work) and
removed in G.

If you think something went wrong with that process, we should
definitely figure that out, because I thought we were pretty careful
about it.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague