[openstack-dev] "Changing" an API

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Thu Feb 7 01:51:39 UTC 2013

I was not trying to say those documents have all the answers, just that
it is not quite the wild west with PTLs doing whatever they feel like
and making incompatible changes either. The main thrust was that if I am
creating a service/application that uses OpenStack APIs correctly to
control cloud resources, then my application should continue to work
even if the operator of one of my clouds upgrades to a new OpenStack
release. There are gray areas around cases where the existing API is
totally broken and some of these examples are mentioned in the document.
Adding extensions would not run afoul of this criteria but has its own
issues as Jorge observed. I think we have to consider separately two
uses of extensions:

1. A PTL wants to enhance the function of an API in a way that is
incompatible (breaks existing apps) and uses an "official" extension to
get around that instead of bumping the version.

2. A provider extends a core API with their own extensions which may
conflict with others.

Ideally all the APIs would have methods for discovering available apis
but I think that is spotty now and definitely not
uniform across projects.

  -David