[openstack-dev] RFC: Classnames in config parameters harmful to users / upgrades

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 15:46:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 15:22 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> The only way we can do this is if we do *NOT* require the use of
> classnames in config parameters. Instead we should treat all these
> config parameters as being more like enumerations, and map those to
> classnames internally
>
> eg for the compute_driver instead of having the user set
>
>   compute_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.LibvirtDriver
>
> they would do
>
>   compute_driver=libvirt

I think there's already good consensus on this and the idea is to use
entry points and stevedore to achieve it.

See:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/entrypoints-plugins
  https://review.openstack.org/11027
  https://review.openstack.org/15030

The end result is exactly that

  compute_driver=libvirt

will work, along with backwards compat for the original name.

It just needs to be resurrected and finished off.

Cheers,
Mark.