[openstack-dev] Copyright guidance

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Feb 5 22:12:57 UTC 2013

After patching with some updates around the new year [1] [2] [3], and
learning we needed more clarity around copyright statements in source code
files, I got guidance from Lisa Miller, one of the Foundation's corporate
attorneys.

I've created a new wiki page with this guidance at:
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Copyright

Basically, when a new year rolls around, we don't need to update all
copyrights. When you update or add a doc file, it's fine to add the year.
Generally leave copyright statements in place, and add your own if you feel
so led. All references to "OpenStack LLC" can be changed to "OpenStack
Foundation" because the copyright was transferred when the new entity was
created.

I think the wiki page answers other questions you may have but feel free to
ask questions as you update files. We don't need an overarching guidance
from the TC about the contents of the headers, individual PTLs can decide,
but please do adhere to the guidelines for updates.

Thanks,
Anne

1. nova https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18883/
2. swift https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18889/