[openstack-dev] Glance to refer images on a image library rather than upload

VK Kumar vkkumar.live at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:44:56 UTC 2013

Thanks Alex and Izy.

Your replies confirm that my first part of the assumption that when
location is provide the image in not uploaded into glance.

Will check the patch links if the following is also eliminated by the
patches.
"Then whenever an image is requested to be downloaded from glance, glance *will
first download the image data from the specified location and then pass it
on*."

What I was thinking was that when nova boot is done for an image with
location on a http server, glance will not get the image, instead it will
pass on the information such as image meta-data and http location to
compute so that compute can get the image. This makes sense in cases where
the compute nodes have direct access to the http server repository location
(SAN) and transfer would be faster.

@Izy patch seems to address this, let me check.

Thanks again!

VK Kumar