[openstack-dev] [Nova] Help with scheduler filter naming

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 03:29:17 UTC 2013

I'm unfamiliar with the review, so take this with a grain of salt, but a
comment from the sideline...

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:59:32 +0000
> From: Hans Lindgren <hanlind at kth.se>
> During review, it was proposed that existing filters (RamFilter and
CoreFilter) should also be renamed to end up with
*StaticFilter/*DynamicFilter or *PredictiveFilter/*UsageFilter. Later on an
objection was made that this would break existing configs, forcing
upgraders to change configs over such a change.

This seems like a sensible suggestion.

> To be able to move on with the review I would like to hear your opinions
on this matter. The filters affected, and their current names are:

> CoreFilter (existing filter)
>
> RAMFilter (existing filter)
>
> CPUUsageFilter
>
> RAMUsageFilter

I don't really see a problem here, why not keep the existing names so as
not to break existing configs but give them new (more descriptive) aliases
that avoid confusion with the new filters? Docs can be updated to use the
new names, and perhaps the old names can be deprecated in due course.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo