[openstack-dev] [nova] Block Device mapping and supporting cd-roms

Jian Hua Geng gengjh at cn.ibm.com
Sat Feb 2 09:21:16 UTC 2013

For the CDROM support part which I already did some changes in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18469/, I will continue to work on this
base on Nikola's changes.

Best regard,
David Geng

             Nikola Đipanov
             <ndipanov at redhat.
                                       "Daniel P. Berrange"
             01/30/2013 11:57          <berrange at redhat.com>, OpenStack
             PM                        Development Mailing List
                                       <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
                                       , Vishvananda Ishaya
             Please respond to         <vishvananda at gmail.com>,
                 OpenStack                                              cc
                Development
               Mailing List                                        Subject
             <openstack-dev at li         Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Block
             sts.openstack.org         Device mapping and supporting

On 29/01/13 15:18, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:41:19PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> I think one of the things I'd like to see before looking at any further
>> patches is a clear illustration of the various different config
scenarios
>> we're aiming at supporting.
>>
>> eg a set of  nova boot command line examples, showing how to express
>> all the different possible configurations we need.
>>
>> It is hard to infer what is possible in this respect from just looking
>> at patch reviews.
>
> I created a wiki page describing what I think we need to be able to
> handle in terms of block device mapping for Nova in general. This is
> basically the set of parameters described in the test Vish quoted
> earlier in this thread. In addition though, I have had a go at
> specifying a suitable syntax for 'nova boot' (and friends) to use
> for specifying the block device mapping
>
>   http://wiki.openstack.org/BlockDeviceConfig
>
> my intent is that this obsoletes the '--image' and
'--block-deice-mapping'
> parameters, though they obviously need to remain for back compatibility
> so can't just be removed. The new syntax is intended to be more
expressive
> to facilitate readability and future expansion should we need it.
>
> The missing piece is describing what data format we should use at the
> API level, and then possibly what we need todo about data stored in
> the DB for this - how to migrate existing data to any new schema used.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Hi all,

I've added the bits about the db migration and the new data model to the
wiki so please feel free to comment.

I will follow up with the API data model and extenstions and how to make
it backwards compatible - i.e. nova still working with the old
--block-device-mapping boot parameters.

Cheers,

Nikola