[openstack-dev] blueprint ec2-tags-api

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at guardian.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 15:45:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 14:30 -0800, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Stephen Gran <stephen.gran at guardian.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > 2) Create a new tags table containing references to the resource type
> > and ID.  This has the advantage that we won't need to make lots of API
> > calls to return all the resources with a given tag, but also feels
> > possibly over-denormalized (is that a word?).
>
> This would be the fastest way to implement the feature, but I suspect we will end up
> with some pretty nasty querys to do filters by tags in this model.

The proof of concept patch for doing it this way is at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20412/ .   The queries aren't amazing,
but they're not that awful either.  It currently hardcodes 'instance',
but that's just a lookup table to fix.

This doesn't mean I disagree about the right way to do it - if you think
tags will serve a purpose in glance/quantum/etc beyond EC2 API
compatibility, then that's the right way to do it.  I'm just saying that
if it's not useful in it's own right, getting a cheap and cheerful EC2
API compatibility fix a different way doesn't introduce huge amounts of
awfulness.

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - guardian.co.uk

Visit guardian.co.uk - website of the year

www.guardian.co.uk    www.observer.co.uk     www.guardiannews.com

On your mobile, visit m.guardian.co.uk or download the Guardian
iPhone app www.guardian.co.uk/iphone and iPad edition www.guardian.co.uk/iPad

Save up to 37% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit guardian.co.uk/subscribe

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164