[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Federated Identity Management and user creation

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 02:22:03 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 05:08 PM, David Chadwick wrote:

> On 31/01/2013 18:33, Adam Young wrote:
>> On 01/31/2013 10:40 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>>> this is missing the whole point of federation and ABAC. We do not want
>>> to base access on unique IDs (or the lack of them) but rather on the
>>> identity attributes that users posses. Your proposal would only work
>>> if all users from the same IDP had the same set of identity
>>> attributes. But this is obviously not the case.
>>

>> Nope.
> No sure what the nope was to.
"Your proposal would only work if all users from the same IDP had the
same set of identity
attributes. "
Nope.  It would work if the deployed policy were more fine grained than
it is.  But they should not all have the same attributes.  I am assuming
that your mapping mechanism has transformed  the attributes from the IDP
into the roles (the cannonical form) that will be presented in a token.

>> WHat matters is what is in the token.  The User ID is just a
>> book-keeping tool in this case.
>
> Agreed. It is clear that what matters to the CSP is what is in the
> token (if it validates the token) or what Keystone says is in the
> token (if it asks Keystone to validate it), and not what Keystone
> stores in its databases, since the CSP does not access the databases.
>
> In order for the token system to work, Keystone does not need a
> persistent entry in its user database. It only needs a transient entry
> which can be deleted after the user's session has completed. The book
> keeping can cease once the user has finished using the CSP. The audit
> trail remains in perpetuity, even if the user's account in Keystone
> has been deleted.
>

>>> As I said in a previous posting, a new way of thinking about authz is
>>> needed, one that is not based on the unique user IDs that Keystone
>>> assigns.
>>
>> Think of it his way.  If i invite you to the Open Stack table via
>> Federation, I am responsible for you.
>
> By "I" I assume you mean the OpenStack/Keystone administrator, so I
> agree with this. However, in a federated system, the
> OpenStack/Keystone administrator trusts the federation IDPs to
> administer the user accounts, databases and user authentication
> tokens, so that he does not have to. This is the whole point of
> federation. In a federation, the SP trusts the IDP to manage the user
> accounts so that it does not have to. Which is actually what OpenStack
> currently supports in that the CSPs trust Keystone to do the user
> account management. We are simply extending the existing trust model
> into a federated environment so that the CSP trusts Keystone and
> Keystone trusts the federated IDPs. Thus there is no point in
> replicating the users accounts in Keystone since they already exist
> and are managed by the trusted IDPs.
>

>  The common userID is the account
>> responsible for the actions of the ephemeral users.
>
> I simply dont see why you need this, or how it will help to authorise
> users. In fact it will mess up the authz if the CSP uses the userID in
> its access control lists, because in this case all users would have
> the same access rights, which is not what is required.

OK,  so the policy module knows about roles and has rules like
"role:admin"  We can extend the attributes that the policy module can
consume for rules, but it has to be a limited set.

Swift would have to enforce RBAC.  Data stored in swift would be "owned"
by the project, not by the user.  Proejcts cannot be ephemeral in a
federated system. If a user want to affect a change in swift, they need
to have the appropriate roles for the stored object.  THose roles would
be mapped from the attributes issued by the IDP.

Is it me, or are we in violent agreement on most points here?

>> The token will have a set of identity attributes in it, signed by
>> Keystone.
>
> Actually it should have the mapped attributes in it, the ones that the
> CSP knows and uses for authorising the users (especially if the CSP is
> going to validate the token. There is no point in putting strange IDP
> / organisational attributes in the token).
>
>  That is all the user needs, not a separate account in
>> Keystone's user table.
>
> At last we agree on this. The user does not need a duplicate account
> in Keystone.
>

>> Another way of saying it is that we already have an ephemeral user
>> construct, it is the token.
>
> Agreed.
I wonder if we should use the token ID as the ephemeral user id?

>>> For a start, when you first configure your federated OpenStack system,
>>> there wont be any users in the database and so there wont be any
>>> unique Keystone user IDs, so services wont be able to create ACLs
>>> based on them.
>> Not true.  There are mechanisms for pre-populateing the users, part of
>> the install system.  You don't need to completely pull yourself up by
>> your own bootstraps.
>
> But this is for the non-federated environment where users have to be
> in the keystone database in order to authenticate and get tokens.
>
> In the federated world the users account is already in the IDP's
> database (as is his pw).

You need to set up the federation agreement.  I would see it happen by
making an account in keystone which gets blessed as the IdP
administrator.  We need to specify how the workflow will occur.