[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] IDE extensions in .gitignore

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Dec 31 17:01:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-31 09:45:38 -0700 (-0700), John Griffith wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, I'd like to see all of the projects agree on this... or even
> consider moving to a global .gitignore.  Thoughts??

Personal opinion, the per-project .gitignore should be reserved
exclusively for autogenerated artifacts tools and scripts embedded
in the source (AUTHORS, dist, cover) or ephemeral files created by
tools which are part of the documented and recommended workflow
(.tox, .testrepository). The place for ignoring files created by
your preferred tools (editors, IDEs) is within your own ~/.gitconfig
instead... you can even set core.excludesfile to something like
~/.gitignore if you want to inherit common exclusions from a
separate file.

As for a global .gitignore synchronized across all projects, I think
this is not likely to work well. Consider, as an example, that some
projects may want ChangeLog autogenerated by PBR from the Git commit
log while others prefer to hand-curate their ChangeLog file instead.
The first project will want ChangeLog listed in .gitignore while the
second will want it to actually get checked into the repo.
--
Jeremy Stanley