[openstack-dev] [All] tagged commit messages

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Dec 29 22:05:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM, John Dickinson <me at not.mn> wrote:
> I've seen several disconnected messages about tags in commit messages. I've seen
> what is possible with the DocImpact tag, and I'd like to have some more flexible tagging
> things too. I'd like to use tags for things like keeping track of config defaults changing,
> specific ongoing feature work, and tracking changes come release time.

I suspect I'm the last person to have touched this code, and I think
expanding tags is a good idea. However, I'm not sure if its the best
mechanism possible -- if a reviewer requires a tag to be added or
changed, it currently requires a git review round trip for the
developer or their proxy. Is that too onerous if tags become much more
common?

I definitely think some more formal way of tracking that a given patch
needs to be covered by the release notes is a good idea.

There are currently two hooks that I can see in our gerrit config:

 - patchset-created
 - change-merged

I suspect some tags should be "executed" at patchset-merged? For
example a change to flag defaults might cause a notification to be
sent to interested operators?

Perhaps step one is to work out what tags we think are useful and at
what time they should execute?

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia