[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Dec 29 14:53:30 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Andreas Jaeger's message of 2013-12-28 23:05:45 -0800:
> On 12/29/2013 07:50 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> > One possible reason to want a different judgment call is that the
> > logic about impacted OS's was wrong - I claimed (correctly) that every
> > OS has support for ext4, but neglected to consider the 13 year
> > lifespan of RHEL...
> > https://access.redhat.com/site/support/policy/updates/errata/ shows
> > that RHEL 3 and 4 are both still supported, and neither support ext4.
> > So folk that are running apps in those legacy environments indeed
> > cannot move.
>
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 comes with ext3 as default as well - and
> does not include ext4 support, so this really a bad change for SLES,

Perhaps people should run SP3?

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP3/

Claims that ext4 write support is included, it just has to be toggled
to on.

It is also worth noting that this is just a convenience filesystem. You
can mkfs whatever you want on top of the block device.