[openstack-dev] [QA][Neutron] About paramiko's "SSHException: Error reading SSH protocol banner"

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Dec 27 09:42:30 UTC 2013

Yair,

The 'isolated' mode makes the tempest session more realistic by simulating
a cloud with multiple networks and ports. For Neutron tests this means
creating a new set of network resources for each test class. If creating
distinct network resources for each tenant is the root cause of this
problem, there is probably some underlying issue in neutron that needs to
be addressed.

I think there is a requirement to be able to run the test suite with 'full
tenant isolation' and 'parallel' execution.

On the other hand Toshihiro noted that SSH gets connected, and before
starting with the "protocol banner" errors, it even says that it tries to
authenticate, and the authentication fails. I don't know what to think
here. I only have two hints:
1 - The SSH connection attempt starts before the VM and the floating IPs
are wired by the agent. Paramiko has to wait more than a minute for a
response to come from the server. Could this cause the library to fail? Can
we try to ping and then SSH once the ping succeeds as
test_network_basic_ops does?
2 - Is there a chance that key management might be flaky when running
parallel tests? I don't think so because otherwise we should see failures
even with nova-network, and that does not happen.

Salvatore