[openstack-dev] [trove] Delivering datastore logs to customers

Daniel Morris daniel.morris at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Dec 26 21:29:22 UTC 2013

From: Vipul Sabhaya <vipuls at gmail.com<mailto:vipuls at gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [trove] Delivering datastore logs to customers

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Daniel Morris <daniel.morris at rackspace.com<mailto:daniel.morris at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Vipul,

I know we discussed this briefly in the Wednesday meeting but I still have a few questions.   I am not bought in to the idea that we do not need to maintain the records of saved logs.   I agree that we do not need to enable users to download and manipulate the logs themselves via Trove ( that can be left to Swift), but at a minimum, I believe that the system will still need to maintain a mapping of where the logs are stored in swift.  This is a simple addition to the list of available logs per datastore (an additional field of its swift location – a location exists, you know the log has been saved).  If we do not do this, how then does the user know where to find the logs they have saved or if they even exist in Swift without searching manually?  It may be that this is covered, but I don't see this represented in the BP.  Is the assumption that it is some known path?  I would expect to see the Swift location retuned on a GET of the available logs types for a specific instance (there is currently only a top-level GET for logs available per datastore type).

The Swift location can be returned in the response to the POST/‘save’ operation.  We may consider returning a top-level immutable resource (like ‘flavors’) that when queried, could return the Base path for logs in Swift.
As long as we have a way to programmatically obtain and build the base path to the logs on a per instance basis, that should be fine.

Logs are not meaningful to Trove, since you can’t act on them or perform other meaningful Trove operations on them.  Thus I don’t believe they qualify as a resource in Trove.  Multiple ‘save’ operations should not result in a replace of the previous logs, it should just add to what may already be there in Swift.

I am also assuming in this case, and per the BP, that If the user does not have the ability to select the storage location in Swift of if this is controlled exclusively by the deployer.  And that you would only allow one occurrence of the log, per datastore / instance and that the behavior of writing a log more than once to the same location is that it will overwrite / append, but it is not detailed in the BP.

The location should be decided by Trove, not the user.  We’ll likely need to group them in Swift by InstanceID buckets.  I don’t believe we should do appends/overwrites - new Logs saved would just add to what may already exist.  If the user chooses they don’t need the logs, they can perform the delete directly in Swift.

Thanks,
Daniel