[openstack-dev] [Openstack][qa][Tempest][Network] Test for external connectivity

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Dec 26 03:13:36 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 08:19 PM, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
> Basically I think we can assume test machines have access to the
> Internet

IMO, we should assume test machines doesn't. It's a too dangerous
assumption to make.

> I assume you want
> to check servers such as www.google.com <http://www.google.com> are
> reachable

I don't know why we would like to check for www.google.com by default,
especially one which is geo-distributed, and for which the IPs are
changing without any warning. Why not using a domain which we control,
like www.openstack.org?

> but the routing from the external_gateway_ip to the final
> destination is beyond's Neutron control. DNS resolution might be
> interesting, but however I think resolution of external names is too
> beyond Neutron's control.

Agreed.

Thomas