[openstack-dev] [TripleO] icehouse-1 test disk images setup

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Dec 24 17:26:14 UTC 2013

Excerpts from James Slagle's message of 2013-12-24 08:50:32 -0800:
> I built some vm image files for testing with TripleO based off of the
> icehouse-1 milestone tarballs for Fedora and Ubuntu.  If folks are
> interested in giving them a try you can find a set of instructions and
> how to download the images at:
>
> https://gist.github.com/slagle/981b279299e91ca91bd9

This is great, thanks for working hard to make the onramp shorter. :)

> The steps are similar to the devtest process, but you use the prebuilt
> vm images for the undercloud and overcloud and don't need a seed vm.
> When the undercloud vm is started it uses the OpenStack Configuration
> Drive as a data source for cloud-init.  This eliminates some of the
> manual configuration that would otherwise be needed.  To that end, the
> steps currently use some different git repos for some of the tripleo
> tooling since not all of that functionality is upstream yet.  I can
> submit those upstream, but they didn't make a whole lot of sense
> without the background, so I wanted to provide that first.

Why would config drive be easier than putting a single json file in
/var/lib/heat-cfntools/cfn-init-data the way the seed works?

Do you experience problems with that approach that we haven't discussed?

If I were trying to shrink devtest from 3 clouds to 2, I'd eliminate the
undercloud, not the seed. The seed is basically an undercloud in a VM
with a static configuration. That is what you have described but done
in a slightly different way. I am curious what the benefits of this
approach are.

> At the very least, this could be an easier way for developers to get
> setup with tripleo to do a test overcloud deployment to develop on
> things like Tuskar.

Don't let my questions discourage you. This is great as-is!