[openstack-dev] [Tempest][qa] Adding tags to commit messages

Yair Fried yfried at redhat.com
Tue Dec 24 06:47:15 UTC 2013

Hi,
Suggestion: Please consider tagging your Tempest commit messages the same way you do your mails in the mailing list

Explanation: Since tempest is a single project testing multiple Openstack project we have a very diverse collection of patches as well as reviewers. Tagging our commit messages will allow us to classify patches and thus:
1. Allow reviewer to focus on patches related to their area of expertise
2. Track "trends" in patches - I think we all know that we lack in Neutron testing for example, but can we assess how many network related patches are for awaiting review
3. Future automation of flagging "interesting" patches

You can usually tell all of this from reviewing the patch, but by then - you've spent time on a patch you might not even be qualified to review.
I suggest we tag our patches with, to start with, the components we are looking to test, and the type of test (sceanrio, api, ...) and that reviewers should -1 untagged patches.

I think the tagging should be the 2nd line in the message:

Example commit message

[Neutron][Nova][Network][Scenario]

Explanation of how this scenario tests both Neutron and Nova
Network performance

Chang-id XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX