[openstack-dev] olso.config error on running Devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Dec 23 19:18:11 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 11:52 AM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 2013-12-18 09:26, Sayali Lunkad wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I get the following error when I run stack.sh on Devstack
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/ceilometer-dbsync", line 6, in <module>
>>     from ceilometer.storage import dbsync
>>   File "/opt/stack/ceilometer/ceilometer/storage/__init__.py", line
>> 23, in <module>
>>     from oslo.config import cfg
>> ImportError: No module named config
>> ++ failed
>> ++ local r=1
>> +++ jobs -p
>> ++ kill
>> ++ set +o xtrace
>>
>> Search gives me olso.config is installed. Please let me know of any
>> solution.
>

> Devstack pulls oslo.config from git, so if you have it installed on the
> system through pip or something it could cause problems.  If you can
> verify that it's only in /opt/stack/oslo.config, you might try deleting
> that directory and rerunning devstack to pull down a fresh copy.  I
> don't know for sure what the problem is, but those are a couple of
> things to try.

We actually try to resolve that here:

https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/oslo#L43

However, have I said how terrible python packaging is recently?
Basically you can very easily get yourself in a situation where *just
enough* of the distro package is left behind that pip thinks its there,
so won't install it, but the python loader doesn't, so won't work.

Then much sadness.

If anyone has a more fool proof way to fix this, suggestions appreciated.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America