[openstack-dev] [Glance][Oslo] Pulling glance.store out of glance. Where should it live?

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Mon Dec 23 13:46:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21/12/13 00:41 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/2013 10:42 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> In the last Glance meeting, it was proposed to pull out glance's
>>> stores[0] code into its own package. There are a couple of other
>>> scenarios where using this code is necessary and it could also be
>>> useful for other consumers outside OpenStack itself.
>>>
>>> That being said, it's not clear where this new library should live in:
>>>
>>>    1) Oslo: it's the place for common code, incubation, although this
>>>    code has been pretty stable in the last release.
>>>
>>>    2) glance.stores under Image program: As said in #1, the API has
>>>    been pretty stable - and it falls perfectly into what Glance's
>>>    program covers.
>>>

>> What about:
>>
>> 3) Cinder
>>
>> Cinder is for block storage. Images are just a bunch of blocks, and all
>> the store drivers do is take a chunked stream of input blocks and store
>> them to disk/swift/s3/rbd/toaster and stream those blocks back out again.
>>
>> So, perhaps the most appropriate place for this is in Cinder-land.
>>

> This is an interesting suggestion.
>
> I wouldn't mind putting it there, although I still prefer it to be
> under glance for historical reasons and because Glance team knows that
> code.
>
> How would it work if this lib falls under Block Storage program?
>
> Should the glance team be added as core contributors of this project?
> or Just some of them interested in contributing / reviewing those
> patches?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like John and Mark to weigh in too.

I think Jay's suggestion makes a lot of sense. I don't know if the Cinder
folks want to take it on, however. I think its going to be easier in a
process sense to just keep it in the Glance/Images program. Oslo doesn't
seem like the right fit to me, just because this already has a clear owner,
and as you said, it doesn't really need an unstable api cleanup phase (I
know you were not proposing it start out in copy-around mode.)