[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Sat Dec 21 22:07:28 UTC 2013

On Dec 18, 2013, at 4:40 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> I guess there are 3 options:
>
> 1. Require diversity for incubation, but find ways to bless or recommend
> projects pre-incubation so that this diversity can actually be achieved
>
> 2. Do not require diversity for incubation, but require it for
> graduation, and remove projects from incubation if they fail to attract
> a diverse community
>
> 3. Do not require diversity at incubation time, but at least judge the
> interest of other companies: are they signed up to join in the future ?
> Be ready to drop the project from incubation if that was a fake support
> and the project fails to attract a diverse community

+1 to 2/3

As a point of interest, the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) takes diversity very seriously. See Creating an Open and Diverse community [1]

"A major criterion for graduation is to have developed an open and diverse meritocratic community."

I've been through the ASF incubation and subsequent graduation process so 2/3 make perfect sense to me. I'm not sure if there's any practical difference between the two as they're written.

Regards,
Everett

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community