[openstack-dev] [neutron] Re: [Blueprint vlan-aware-vms] VLAN aware VMs

Erik Moe emoe264 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 22:00:38 UTC 2013

Hi Ian,

I think your VLAN trunking capability proposal can be a good thing, so the
user can request a Neutron network that can trunk VLANs without caring
about detailed information regarding which VLANs to pass. This could be
used for use cases there user wants to pass VLANs between endpoints on a L2
network etc.

For the use case there a VM wants to connect to several "normal" Neutron
networks using VLANs, I would prefer a solution that did not require a
Neutron trunk network. Possibly by connecting a L2-gateway directly to the
Neutron 'vNic' port, or some other solution. IMHO it would be good to map
VLAN to Neutron network as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Erik