[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Oslo] Consuming Notifications in Batches

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Dec 20 15:48:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19 2013, Herndon, John Luke wrote:

Hi John,

> The Rackspace-HP team has been putting a lot of effort into performance
> testing event collection in the ceilometer storage drivers[0]. Based on
> some results of this testing, we would like to support batch consumption
> of notifications, as it will greatly improve insertion performance. Batch
> consumption in this case means waiting for a certain number of
> notifications to arrive before sending to the storage
> driver.

I think that is overall a good idea. And in my mind it could also a
bigger consequences that you would think. When we will start using
notifications instead of RPC calls for sending the samples, we may be
able to leverage that too.

Anyway, my main concern here is that I am not very enthusiast about
using the executor to do that. I wonder if there is not a way to ask the
broker to get as many as message as it has up to a limit?

You would have 100 messages waiting in the notifications.info queue, and
you would be able to tell to oslo.messaging that you want to read up to
10 messages at a time. If the underlying protocol (e.g. AMQP) can
support that too, it would be more efficient too.

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker * independent consultant