[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova] oslo common.service vs. screen and devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Dec 20 00:33:12 UTC 2013

So a few people had been reporting recently that unstack no longer stops
nova processes, which I only got around to looking at today. It turns
out the new common.service stack from oslo takes SIGHUP and treats it as
a restart. Which isn't wrong, but is new, and is incompatible with
screen (the way we use it). Because we use -X stuff, the resulting -X
quit sends SIGHUP to the child processes.

So the question is, are we definitely in a state now where nova services
can and do want to support SIGHUP as restart?

If so, is there interest in being able to disable that behavior at start
time, so we can continue with a screen based approach as well?

If not, we'll need to figure out another way to approach the shutdown in
devstack. Which is fine, just work that wasn't expected.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America