[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ironic] Get power and temperature via IPMI

Gao, Fengqian fengqian.gao at intel.com
Thu Dec 19 03:16:36 UTC 2013

Hi, Devananda,
I agree with you that new features should be towards Ironic.
As you asked why use Ironic instead of lm-sensors, actually I just want to use IPMI instead of lm-sensors. I think it is reasonable to put the IPMI part into Ironic and we already did:).

To get the sensors' information, I think IPMI is much more powerful than lm-sensors.
Firstly, IPMI is flexible.  Generally speaking, it provides two kinds of connections, in-bind and out-of-band.
Out-of-band connection allows us to get sensors' status even without OS and CPU.
In-band connection is quite similar to lm-sensors, It needs the OS kernel to get sensor data.
Secondly,  IPMI can gather more sensors' information that lm-sensors and it is easy to use. From my own experience, using IPMI can get all the sensor information that lm-sensors could get, such as temperature/voltage/fan. Besides that, IPMI can get power data and some OEM specific sensor data.
Thirdly, I think IPMI is a common spec for most of OEMs.  And most of servers are integrated with IPMI interface.

As you sais, nova-compute is already supplying information to the scheduler and power/temperature should be gathered locally.  IPMI can be used locally, the in-band connection. And there is a lot of open source library, such as OpenIPMI, FreeIPMI, which provide the interfaces to OS, just like lm-sensors.
So, I prefer to use IPMI than lm-sensors. Please leave your comments if you disagree:).

Best wishes

--fengqian