[openstack-dev] [trove] My thoughts on the Unified Guest Agent

Tim Simpson tim.simpson at rackspace.com
Wed Dec 18 19:27:44 UTC 2013

>> Please provide proof of that assumption or at least a general hypothesis that we can test.

I can't prove that the new agent will be larger as it doesn't exist yet.

>> Since nothing was agreed upon anyway, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  I would suggest that any agent framework be held to an extremely high standard for footprint for this very reason.

Sorry, I formed a conclusion based on what I'd read so far. There has been talk to add Salt to this Unified Agent along with several other things. So I think its a valid concern to state that making this thing small is not as high on the list of priorities as adding extra functionality.

The C++ agent is just over 3 megabytes of real memory and takes up less than 30 megabytes  of virtual memory. I don't think an agent has to be *that* small. However it won't get near that small unless making it tiny is made a priority, and I'm skeptical that's possible while also deciding an agent will be capable of interacting with all major OpenStack projects as well as Salt.

>> Nobody has suggested writing an agent that does everything.

Steven Dake just said:

"A unified agent addresses the downstream viewpoint well, which is 'There is only one agent to package and maintain, and it supports all the integrated OpenStack Program projects'."

So it sounds like some people are saying there will only be one. Or that it is at least an idea.

>> If Trove's communication method is in fact superior to all others, then perhaps we should discuss using that in the unified agent framework.

My point is every project should communicate to an agent in its own interface, which can be swapped out for whatever implementations people need.

>>  In fact I've specifically been arguing to keep it focused on facilitating guest<->service communication and limiting its in-guest capabilities to narrowly focused tasks.

I like this idea better than creating one agent to rule them all, but I would like to avoid forcing a single method of communicating between agents.

>> Also I'd certainly be interested in hearing about whether or not you think the C++ agent could made generic enough for any project to use.

I certainly believe much of the code could be reused for other projects. Right now it communicates over RabbitMQ, Oslo RPC style, so I'm not sure how much it will fall in line with what the Unified Agent group wants. However, I would love to talk more about this. So far my experience has been that no one wants to pursue using / developing an agent that was written in C++.

Thanks,

Tim