[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Dec 18 18:23:07 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 07:01 AM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> Options 2 and 3 sound identical to me, when realistically applied.
> Option 3 just makes the common sense aspect mandatory.

Indeed, Option 3 gets my vote. One aspect I'd like to mention regarding
diversity of contributors in any open source project is a crucial
element gives credibility to its "open sourceness".  Many of the tools
that do software evaluation pay close attention to this element.

'Contributors' is to be intended in a wider term than just code
developers or commits: having users very involved in design discussions
or providing test/use cases, for example, would be IMHO evaluated
positively towards a diversity score.

Option 3 is a good balance because it helps projects get started and
puts pressure on them to grow outside of the team that started. It's not
a secret that the outside-looking aspect of OpenStack since its
inception is what made it so successful so rapidly. One team coding, one
team recruiting contributors (users and developers): let's keep the
model going.

/stef