[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 17:52:09 UTC 2013

On 18/12/13 12:35 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>    On 12/18/2013 10:37 AM, Steven Dake wrote:
>    > But I can tell you one thing for certain, an actual incubation
>    > commitment from the OpenStack Technical Committee has a huge impact - it
>    > says "Yes we think this project has great potential for improving
>    > OpenStack's scope in a helpful useful way and we plan to support the
>    > program to make it happen".  Without that commitment, managers at
>    > companies have a harder time justifying R&D expenses.
>    >
>    > That is why I am not a big fan of approach #3 - companies are unlikely
>    > to commit without a commitment from the TC first ;-) (see chicken/egg in
>    > your original argument ;)
>    >
>    > We shouldn't be afraid of a project failing to graduate to Integrated.
>    > Even though it hasn't happened yet, it will undoubtedly happen at some
>    > point in the future.  We have a way for projects to leave incubation if
>    > they fail to become a strong emergent system, as described in option #2.
>
>    Agreed.
>
>    One of the things I think we are missing with the incubation project is
>    checkpoints. We really should be reviewing incubated projects at the end
>    of every cycle (and maybe at milestone-2 as an interim) and give them
>    some feedback on how they are doing on integration requirements, or even
>    how they are doing keeping up with what's needed for incubation (and
>    de-incubate if required).
>

>+1

FWIW, Marconi's team sticks to OpenStack's milestones. As part of the
incubation process, projects should start 'behaving' as they were
integrated. This will teach the members of the team how the release
cycle works and it'll also help the TC to review the work going on in
the project based on the OpenStack milestones.

Also, incubated projects can ask for reviews / support at anytime.

Cheers,
FF

--
@flaper87