[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Dec 18 14:39:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Jarret Raim <jarret.raim at rackspace.com>wrote:

> [...]

It is a difficult thing to measure, and I don't think the intent is to set
a hard % for contributions. I think the numbers for Barbican were just
illustrating the fact that the concrete contributions are very coming very
heavily from one source. That's only one data point, though, and as you
point out there are a lot of other way to contribute.

For example, another criteria could be whether the project has core
reviewers from multiple companies, where each is doing some significant
proportion of reviews.

> Barbican has been open since its inception. It has never been closed or
> limited in any way. However, we didn't really start getting interest until
> we reached our MVP. We have interest now, but even though people have
> started contributing, it will take a while to chip away at the commit
> percentages.
>
> For me, I would be fine with #2 or #3 (they seem very similar), but I don't
> think #1 is realistic. Keep in mind that many of the current OpenStack
> programs & projects were incubated without diverse communities. This
> doesn't
> seem to have caused outsized headaches.

I think we've been lucky on that count. I'm not sure how I feel about the
requirement for entering incubation, yet, but I do feel strongly that we
need to have diverse contributors when a project graduates from incubation.

> > If we assess that incubated projects could not part of Openstack one day
> or
> > so, that won't help community adoption and/or resources dedication.
>
> If something gets kicked out of incubation, it is explicitly because it
> didn't garner any additional community support. By being in incubation, the

A project might not graduate for technical reasons, as well. That's likely
to happen because of a lack of community involvement, but not necessarily.

Doug