[openstack-dev] Diversity as a requirement for incubation

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Dec 18 14:25:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Sylvain Bauza <sylvain.bauza at bull.net>wrote:

> Le 18/12/2013 11:40, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
>
>  I guess there are 3 options:
>>
>> 1. Require diversity for incubation, but find ways to bless or recommend
>> projects pre-incubation so that this diversity can actually be achieved
>>
>> 2. Do not require diversity for incubation, but require it for
>> graduation, and remove projects from incubation if they fail to attract
>> a diverse community
>>
>> 3. Do not require diversity at incubation time, but at least judge the
>> interest of other companies: are they signed up to join in the future ?
>> Be ready to drop the project from incubation if that was a fake support
>> and the project fails to attract a diverse community
>>
>> Personally I'm leaning towards (3) at the moment. Thoughts ?
>>

> I would vote for (1). FWIW, incubated projects are robust enough to fail
> from a resource perspective.
> That definitely goes to what an incubated project is : to me, incubated
> projects *will* be integrated, but they currently aren't due to some
> *technical* (code compliancy, unittesting, frameworks, integration with
> other projects) concerns.
>
> If we assess that incubated projects could not part of Openstack one day
> or so, that won't help community adoption and/or resources dedication.

Being approved for incubation is not a guarantee that a project will
graduate, and it's not sufficient to judge a project solely on technical
criteria. In addition to having strong technical merit, new projects need
to fit into the community socially by following common conventions for
interaction and collaboration.

The goal of raising the requirements for entering incubation and then
graduating is to ensure that projects meet all of the community's standards
(technical and social) by the time they graduate.

Doug