[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Icehouse Requirements

Will Foster wfoster at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 10:19:39 UTC 2013

On 13/12/13 09:41 -0500, Jay Dobies wrote:
>>>* ability to 'preview' changes going to the scheduler
>>
>>What does this give you? How detailed a preview do you need? What
>>information is critical there? Have you seen the proposed designs for
>>a heat template preview feature - would that be sufficient?
>
>Will will probably have a better answer to this, but I feel like at
>very least this goes back to the psychology point raised earlier (I
>think in this thread, but if not, definitely one of the TripleO ones).
>
>A weird parallel is whenever I do a new install of Fedora. I never
>accept their default disk partitioning without electing to
>review/modify it. Even if I didn't expect to change anything, I want
>to see what they are going to give me. And then I compulsively review
>the summary of what actual changes will be applied in the follow up
>screen that's displayed after I say I'm happy with the layout.
>
>Perhaps that's more a commentary on my own OCD and cynicism that I
>feel dirty accepting the magic defaults blindly. I love the idea of
>anaconda doing the heavy lifting of figuring out sane defaults for
>home/root/swap and so on (similarly, I love the idea of Nova scheduler
>rationing out where instances are deployed), but I at least want to
>know I've seen it before it happens.
>
>I fully admit to not knowing how common that sort of thing is. I
>suspect I'm in the majority of geeks and tame by sys admin standards,
>but I honestly don't know. So I acknowledge that my entire argument
>for the preview here is based on my own personality.

Jay,

I mirror your sentiments exactly here, the Fedora example is a good
one and is moreso the case when it comes to node allocation/details
and proposed changes in a deployment scenario.  Though 9/10 times the
defaults Nova scheduler will choose will be fine but there's a 'human'
need to review them, changing as necessary.

-will