[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Terminology

Ladislav Smola lsmola at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 09:44:46 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 04:20 PM, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
>>> I think this is a really important point. I think the consistency is a
>>> powerful tool for teaching new users how they should expect
>>> tripleo/tuskar to work and should lessen the learning curve, as long
>>> they've used openstack before.
>> I don't 100% agree here. Yes it is important for user to keep
>> consistency in naming - but as long as he is working within the same
>> domain. Problem is that our TripleO/Tuskar UI user is very different
>> from OpenStack UI user. They are operators, and they might be very often
>> used to different terminology - globally used and known in their field
>> (for example Flavor is very OpenStack specific term, they might better
>> see HW profile, or similar).
>>
>> I think that mixing these terms in overcloud and undercloud might lead
>> to problems and users' confusion. They already are confused about the
>> whole 'over/under cloud' stuff. They are not working with this approach
>> daily as we are. They care about deploying OpenStack, not about how it
>> works under the hood. Bringing another more complicated level of
>> terminology (explaining what is and belongs to under/overcloud) will
>> increase the confusion here.
>>
>> For developers, it might be easier to deal with the same terms as
>> OpenStack already have or what is used in the background to make that
>> happen. But for user - it will be confusing going to
>> infrastructure/hardware management part and see the very same terms.
>>
>> Therefor I incline more to broadly accepted general terminology and not
>> reusing OpenSTack terms (at least in the UI).
>>
>> -- Jarda
> I think you're correct with respect to the end-user, and I can see the argument
> for terminology changes at the view level; it is important not to confuse the
> end-user.
>
> But at the level where developers are working with OpenStack APIs, I think it's
> important not to confuse the developers and reviewers, and that's most easily done
> by sticking with established OpenStack terminology.
>

> Mainn

I think we are assuming a lot here. I would rather keep the same naming
Openstack use
and possibly rename it later based on users real feedback.

There is not only UI, sysadmins will work with CLI, using Openstack
services, using Openstack
naming. So naming it differently will be confusing.

Btw. I would never hire a sysadmin that should be managing my 100s nodes
cloud and have no idea
what is happening under the hood. :-D

Ladislav