[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for Barbican

Bhandaru, Malini K malini.k.bhandaru at intel.com
Tue Dec 17 22:59:22 UTC 2013

To add to Jarret's arguments,  across OpenStack we have seen as subsystems grow more mature and complex from additional feature extensions, they spawn off into separate projects.
Case in point -- Neutron rose out of Nova Networking, and is marching on in richness and community support.  Common libraries went into Oslo. The Nova scheduler is currently being forklifted into a service of its own called gantt.
At the Portland summit such considerations were raised and given that Barbican provides a separate functionality, it does cleanly live in its own project. True the public/private key pair of a service, tenant etc is part of its identity. In that respect Keystone and Barbican would intersect, which could be managed by delegating the storage of the public key in Barbican, like a directory service.

Regards
Malini