[openstack-dev] Unified Guest Agent proposal

Dmitry Mescheryakov dmescheryakov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 17 16:01:38 UTC 2013

Folks,

The discussion didn't result in a consensus, but it did revealed a great
number of things to be accounted. I've tried to summarize top-level points
in the etherpad [1]. It lists only items everyone (as it seems to me)
agrees on, or suggested options where there was no consensus. Let me know
if i misunderstood or missed something. The etherpad does not list
advantages/disadvantages of options, otherwise it just would be too long.
Interested people might search the thread for the arguments :-) .

I've thought it over and I agree with people saying we need to move
further. Savanna needs the agent and I am going to write a PoC for it. Sure
the PoC will be implemented in project-independent way. I still think that
Salt limitations overweight its advantages, so the PoC will be done on top
of oslo.messaging without Salt. At least we'll have an example on how it
might look.

Most probably I will have more questions in the process, for instance we
didn't finish discussion on enabling networking for the agent yet. In that
case I will start a new, more specific thread in the list.

Thanks,

Dmitry

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/UnifiedGuestAgent