[openstack-dev] [governance] Becoming a Program, before applying for incubation

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 17 12:44:00 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> How about if we had an "emerging projects" page where the TC feedback on
> each project would be listed?
>
> That would give visibility to our feedback, without making it a yes/no
> blessing. Ok, whether to list any feedback about the project on the page
> is a yes/no decision, but at least it allows us to fully express why we
> find the project promising, what people need to help with in order for
> it to be incubated, etc.
>
> With a formal yes/no status, I think we'd struggle with projects which
> we're not quite ready to even bless with an "emerging" status but we
> still want to encourage them - this allows us to bless a project as
> "emerging" but be explicit about our level of support for it.

I agree that being able to express our opinion on a project in shades of
grey is valuable... The main drawback of using a non-boolean status for
that is that you can't grant any benefit to it. So we'd not be able to
say "emerging projects get design summit space".

They can still collaborate in unconference space or around empty tables,
but then we are back to the problem we are trying to solve: increase
visibility of promising projects pre-incubation.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)