[openstack-dev] Project-Scoped Service Catalog Entries

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Mon Dec 16 19:57:48 UTC 2013

I've run into a use case that doesn't currently seem to have a great solution:

Let's say my users want to use a "top-of-stack" OpenStack project such as Heat, Trove, etc. that I don't currently support in my deployment. There's absolutely no reason these services can't live happily in a VM talking to Nova, etc. via the normal APIs. However, in order to have a good experience (Horizon integration, seamless CLI integration) the service needs to be in the Service Catalog. One user could have their service added to the catalog by an admin, but then everyone in the cloud would be using their VM. And if you have multiple users all doing the same thing in their own projects, you've got collisions!

So, I submit to you all that there is value in having a way to scope Service Catalog entries to specific projects, and to allow users with appropriate permissions on their project to add/remove those project-level service catalog entries.

This could be accomplished in a number of ways:

  * Adding a new field to the model to store a Project ID.
  * Adding it in a standardized manner to "service metadata" as with https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/service-metadata
  * Adding it as an "additional requirement" as proposed by https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/auth-mechanisms-for-services
  * Use the existing Region field to track project scope as a hack.
  * Something else...

I see this as analogous to Nova's concept of per-project flavors, or Glance's private/public/shared image capabilities. Allowing explicit "sharing" would even be an interesting option for service endpoints. It all depends how far we would want to go with it.

Feel free to offer feedback or other suggestions.

Thanks!

     - Gabriel