[openstack-dev] [nova] VM diagnostics - V3 proposal

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Mon Dec 16 14:58:24 UTC 2013

Hi,
At the moment the administrator is able to retrieve diagnostics for a running VM. Currently the implementation is very loosely defined, that is, each driver returns whatever they have to return. This is problematic in a number of respects:

 1.  The tempest tests were written specifically for one driver and break with all other drivers (the test was removed to prevent this – bug 1240043)
 2.  An admin is unable to write tools that may work with a hybrid cloud
 3.  Adding support for get_diagnostics for drivers that do not support is painful

I'd like to propose the following for the V3 API (we will not touch V2 in case operators have applications that are written against this – this may be the case for libvirt or xen. The VMware API support was added in I1):

 1.  We formalize the data that is returned by the API [1]
 2.  We enable the driver to add extra information that will assist the administrators in troubleshooting problems for VM's

I have proposed a BP for this - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/diagnostics-namespace (I'd like to change the name to v3-api-diagnostics – which is more apt)

And as Nelson Mandel would have said: “It always seems impossible until it's done.”

Moving forwards we decide to provide administrator the option of using the for V2 (it may be very helpful with debugging issues). But that is another discussion.

Thanks
Gary

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/vm-diagnostics