[openstack-dev] [Solum] Language pack attributes schema

Clayton Coleman ccoleman at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 22:07:01 UTC 2013

> On Dec 13, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov <gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I will change format to YAML. It should be pretty straightforward.
>
> I also like an idea of versioning for LP. I personally don't like name "Stream" but we can figure out naming later.

Version is almost always too specific - remember that some operators may wish to support a single stream of java that may change for users over time.  Someone using a java language pack may only want to support one java runtime at a time, but that version # might change.  It might be major version, it might be minor version, or the minor version might end up having major incompatible changes and thus a new stream has to be forked.

The operator needs a way to define a label for users to select a stream ("1.6") that may change over time ("1.6.5.X"), but with a unique id that links apps created against "1.6" to those created later.  The operator may also need to supply metadata for these streams, like "obsolete", "will be end of lifed soon".  An individual version of a lp in a stream will inherit / reference metadata at some point in time (created at x, has exactly version 1.6.5 build).

The user definitely needs to be able to choose a version - but that version is a choice that exists for a limited period of time.

> Thanks
> Georgy
>

>> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Clayton Coleman <ccoleman at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I added some comments to the bottom specifically about lessons learned from operating things like language pack - I discuss the concept of version streams and how an operator spoon feeds base images  for the language pack out to applications.
>>
>>> On Dec 9, 2013, at 4:05 PM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov <gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As a part of Language pack workgroup session we created an etherpad for language pack attributes definition. Please find a first draft of language pack attributes here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Solum-Language-pack-json-format
>>>
>>> We have identified a minimal list of attributes which should be supported by language pack API.
>>>
>>> Please, provide your feedback and\or ideas in this etherpad. Once it is reviewed we can use this as a basis for language packs in PoC.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Georgy