[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Neutron] How do we know a host is ready to have servers scheduled onto it?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 21:34:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 21:01 +0000, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Maybe time to revive something like:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/12759/
>

> From experience, all sites (and those internal to yahoo) provide a /status
> (or equivalent) that is used for all sorts of things (from basic
> load-balancing up/down) to other things like actually introspecting the
> state of the process (or to get basics about what the process is doing).
> Typically this is not exposed to the public (its why
> http://www.yahoo.com/status works for me but not for u). It seems like
> something like that could help (but of course not completely solve) the
> type of response jay mentioned.

>From reading through the review above, it looks like markmc had two main
objections:

a) The status/healthcheck middleware should not be in Oslo unless all
OpenStack projects have an interest in using it

b) Standardizing on a HEAD request to the root resource seemed like a
better idea

Mark, has any of your thinking changed on the above? Regarding using
HEAD, that limits the returned result to HTTP headers, versus perhaps
returning a list of dependent services that this service is waiting on
in order to move into a "healthy" status.

Personally, I believe OpenStack has moved into a phase where having this
kind of standardized status/healthcheck middleware would be very useful.

Best,
-jay