[openstack-dev] [Tempest][Production] Tempest / the gate / real world load

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Dec 13 14:41:19 UTC 2013

Robert,
As you've deliberately picked on me I feel compelled to reply!

Jokes apart, I am going to retire that patch and push the new default in
neutron. Regardless of considerations on real loads vs gate loads, I think
it is correct to assume the default configuration should be one that will
allow gate tests to pass. A sort of maximum common denominator, if you want.
I think however that the discussion on whether our gate tests are
representative of real world deployment is outside the scope of this
thread, even if very interesting.

On the specific matter of this patch we've been noticing the CPU on the
gate tests with neutron easily reaching 100%; this is not because of (b). I
can indeed replicate the same behaviour on any other VM, even with twice as
much vCPUs. Never tried baremetal though.
However, because of the fact that 'just' the gate tests send the cpu on the
single host to 100% should let us think that deployers might easily end up
facing the same problem in real environment (your (a) point) regardless of
how the components are split.

Thankfully, Armando found out a related issue with the DHCP agent which was
causing it to use a lot of cpu as well as terribly stressing ovsdbserver,
and fixed it. Since then we're seeing a lot less timeout errors on the gate.

Salvatore