[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Terminology

Tzu-Mainn Chen tzumainn at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 21:29:00 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the replies so far!  Let me try and distill the thread down to the points of
interest and contention:

1) NODE vs INSTANCE

This is a distinction that Robert brings up, and I think it's a good one that people agree
with.  The various ROLES can apply to either.

What isn't clear to me (and it's orthogonal to this particular thread) is whether the
wireframes are correct in classifying things by NODES, when it feels like we might want
to classify things by INSTANCE?

2) UNDEPLOYED NODE - a node that has not been deployed with an instance

Other suggestions included  UNASSIGED, UNMAPPED, FREE, and AVAILABLE.  Some people (I'm one of them)
find AVAILABLE to be a bit of an overloaded term, as it can also be construed to mean that, say,
a service instance is now running on a node and is now "available for use".  I'm in favor of an
"UN" word, and it sounds like "UNDEPLOYED" was the most generally acceptable?

3) SIZE THE DEPLOYMENT - the act of deciding how many nodes will need to be assigned to each role in a deployment

Other suggestions included "SET NODE COUNT", "DESIGN THE DEPLOYMENT", "SIZE THE CLOUD".  SIZE THE DEPLOYMENT
sounds like the suggested option that used the most words from the other choices, so I picked it as a likely
candidate :)  I also like that it uses the word deployment, as that's what we're calling the end result.

4) SERVICE CLASS/RESOURCE CLASS/ROLE CONFIGURATION

So, an example of this was

> KVM Compute is a role configuration. KVM compute(GPU) might be another

I'm personally somewhat averse to "role configuration".  Although there are aspects of configuration to
this, "configuration" seems somewhat misleading to me when the purpose of this classification is something
more like - a subrole?

5) NODE PROFILE/FLAVOR

Flavor seemed generally acceptable, although there was some mention of it being an overloaded term.  Is there
a case for using a more "user-friendly" term in the UI (like node profile or hardware configuration or. . .)?
Or should we just expect users to be familiar with OpenStack terminology?

Please feel free to correct me if I've left anything out or misrepresented anything!

Mainn