[openstack-dev] [Keystone] policy has no effect because of hard coded assert_admin?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 18:23:57 UTC 2013

The policy file is protecting v3 API calls at the controller layer, but
you're calling the v2 API. The policy decorators should be moved to the
manager layer to protect both APIs equally... but we'd have to be very
careful not to break deployments depending on the trivial "assert_admin"
behavior (hence the reason we only wrapped v3 with the new policy
decorators).

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Qiu Yu <unicell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to fine tune some keystone policy rules. Basically I want to
> grant "create_project" action to user in "ops" role. And following are my
> steps.
>
> 1. Adding a new user "usr1"
> 2. Creating new role "ops"
> 3. Granting this user a "ops" role in "service" tenant
> 4. Adding new lines to keystone policy file
>
>         "ops_required": [["role:ops"]],
>         "admin_or_ops": [["rule:admin_required"], ["rule:ops_required"]],
>
> 5. Change
>
>         "identity:create_project": [["rule:admin_required"]],
>         "identity:create_project": [["rule:admin_or_ops"]],
>
> 6. Restart keystone service
>
> keystone tenant-create with credential of user "usr1" still returns 403
> Forbidden error.
> “You are not authorized to perform the requested action, admin_required.
> (HTTP 403)”
>
> After some quick scan, it seems that create_project function has a
> hard-coded assert_admin call[1], which does not respect settings in the
> policy file.
>
> Any ideas why? Is it a bug to fix? Thanks!
> BTW, I'm running keystone havana release with V2 API.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/master/keystone/identity/controllers.py#L105
>
> Thanks,
> --