[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Neutron] How do we know a host is ready to have servers scheduled onto it?

Kyle Mestery mestery at siliconloons.com
Thu Dec 12 17:53:57 UTC 2013

On Dec 12, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 12:36 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from Russell Bryant's message of 2013-12-12 09:09:04 -0800:

>>> If a nova compute host has registered itself to start having instances
>>> scheduled to it, it *should* be ready.  AFAIK, we're not doing any
>>> network sanity checks on startup, though.
>>>
>>> We already do some sanity checks on startup.  For example, nova-compute
>>> requires that it can talk to nova-conductor.  nova-compute will block on
>>> startup until nova-conductor is responding if they happened to be
>>> brought up at the same time.
>>>
>>> We could do something like this with a networking sanity check if
>>> someone could define what that check should look like.
>>>
>> Could we ask Neutron if our compute host has an L2 agent yet? That seems
>> like a valid sanity check.
>
> ++

This makes sense to me as well. Although, not all Neutron plugins have
an L2 agent, so I think the check needs to be more generic than that.
For example, the OpenDaylight MechanismDriver we have developed
doesn't need an agent. I also believe the Nicira plugin is agent-less,
perhaps there are others as well.

And I should note, does this sort of integration also happen with cinder,
for example, when we're dealing with storage? Any other services which
have a requirement on startup around integration with nova as well?

Thanks,
Kyle