[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Neutron] How do we know a host is ready to have servers scheduled onto it?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Dec 12 17:35:50 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Chris Friesen's message of 2013-12-12 09:19:42 -0800:
> On 12/12/2013 11:02 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>
> > So I'm asking, is there a standard way to determine whether or not a
> > nova-compute is definitely ready to have things scheduled on it? This
> > can be via an API, or even by observing something on the nova-compute
> > host itself. I just need a definitive signal that "the compute host is
> > ready".
>
> Is it not sufficient that "nova service-list" shows the compute service
> as "up"?

I could spin waiting for "at least one". Not a bad idea actually. However,
I suspect that will only handle the situations I've gotten where the
scheduler returns "NoValidHost".

I say that because I think if it shows there, it matches the all hosts
filter and will have things scheduled on it. With one compute host I
get failures after scheduling because neutron has no network segment to
bind to. That is because the L2 agent on the host has not yet registered
itself with Neutron.