[openstack-dev] Unified Guest Agent proposal

Dmitry Mescheryakov dmescheryakov at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 12 17:24:13 UTC 2013

Clint, Kevin,

Thanks for reassuring me :-) I just wanted to make sure that having direct
access from VMs to a single facility is not a dead end in terms of security
and extensibility. And since it is not, I agree it is much simpler (and
hence better) than hypervisor-dependent design.

Then returning to two major suggestions made:
 * Salt
 * Custom solution specific to our needs

The custom solution could be made on top of oslo.messaging. That gives us
RPC working on different messaging systems. And that is what we really need
- an RPC into guest supporting various transports. What it lacks at the
moment is security - it has neither authentication nor ACL.

Salt also provides RPC service, but it has a couple of disadvantages: it is
tightly coupled with ZeroMQ and it needs a server process to run. A single
transport option (ZeroMQ) is a limitation we really want to avoid.
OpenStack could be deployed with various messaging providers, and we can't
limit the choice to a single option in the guest agent. Though it could be
changed in the future, it is an obstacle to consider.

Running yet another server process within OpenStack, as it was already
pointed out, is expensive. It means another server to deploy and take care
of, +1 to overall OpenStack complexity. And it does not look it could be
fixed any time soon.

For given reasons I give favor to an agent based on oslo.messaging.

Thanks,

Dmitry