[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Neutron] How do we know a host is ready to have servers scheduled onto it?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Dec 12 17:02:58 UTC 2013

I've been chasing quite a few bugs in the TripleO automated bring-up
lately that have to do with failures because either there are no valid
hosts ready to have servers scheduled, or there are hosts listed and
enabled, but they can't bind to the network because for whatever reason
the L2 agent has not checked in with Neutron yet.

This is only a problem in the first few minutes of a nova-compute host's
life. But it is critical for scaling up rapidly, so it is important for
me to understand how this is supposed to work.

So I'm asking, is there a standard way to determine whether or not a
nova-compute is definitely ready to have things scheduled on it? This
can be via an API, or even by observing something on the nova-compute
host itself. I just need a definitive signal that "the compute host is
ready".