[openstack-dev] Generic question: Any tips for 'keeping up' with the mailing lists?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 12 16:52:46 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 11:23 AM, Justin Hammond wrote:
>> I am a developer who is currently having troubles keeping up with the
>> mailing list due to volume, and my inability to organize it in my client.
>> I am nearly forced to use Outlook 2011 for Mac and I have read and
>> attempted to implement
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette but it is still a lot
>> to deal with. I read once a topic or wiki page on using X-Topics but I
>> have no idea how to set that in outlook (google has told me that the
>> feature was removed).
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a valid place for this question, but I *am* having
>> difficulty as a developer.
>>
>> Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this.
>
> The trick is defining what "keeping up" means for you.  I doubt anyone
> reads everything.  I certainly don't.
>
> First, I filter all of openstack-dev into its own folder.  I'm sure
> others filter more aggressively based on topic, but I don't since I know
> I may be interested in threads in any of the topics.  Figure out what
> filtering works for you.
>
> I scan subjects for the threads I'd probably be most interested in.
> While I'm scanning, I'm first looking for topic tags, like [Nova], then
> I read the subject and decide whether I want to dive in and read the
> rest.  It happens very quickly, but that's roughly my thought process.
>
> With whatever is left over: mark all as read.  :-)

I used to have headaches keeping up with openstack-dev, but now I follow
something very similar to what Russell describes. In addition I use
starring to mark threads I want to follow more closely, for quick retrieval.

The most useful tip I can give you: accept that you can't be reading
everything, and that there are things that may happen in OpenStack that
you can't control. I've been involved with OpenStack since the
beginning, and part of my job was to be aware of everything. With the
explosive growth of the project, that doesn't scale that well. Since I
started ignoring stuff (and "marking thread read" and "marking folder
read" as necessary) I end up being able to start doing some useful work
mid-morning (rather than mid-afternoon).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)