[openstack-dev] State of the Gate - Dec 12

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 15:02:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 08:20:09AM -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> Current Gate Length: 12hrs*, 41 deep
>
> (top of gate entered 12hrs ago)
>
> It's been an *exciting* week this week. For people not paying attention
> we had 2 external events which made things terrible earlier in the week.
>
> ==========================
> Event 1: sphinx 1.2 complete breakage - MOSTLY RESOLVED
> ==========================
>
> It turns out sphinx 1.2 + distutils (which pbr magic call through) means
> total sadness. The fix for this was a requirements pin to sphinx < 1.2,
> and until a project has taken that they will fail in the gate.

Additional info, bug reference is below (took me a while to find it..):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1259511

> It also turns out that tox installs pre-released software by default (a
> terrible default behavior), so you also need a tox.ini change like this
> - https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/tox.ini#L9 otherwise
> local users will install things like sphinx 1.2b3. They will also break
> in other ways.

What's the bug # for this one?

> Not all projects have merged this. If you are a project that hasn't,
> please don't send any other jobs to the gate until you do. A lot of
> delay was added to the gate yesterday by Glance patches being pushed to
> the gate before their doc jobs were done.

Note to Heat devs, we are impacted by this, we need to nurse this through
the gate, so please don't approve anything until it lands:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/61276/

Steve