[openstack-dev] [heat] [glance] Heater Proposal

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 11 23:44:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

To keep this thread alive I would like to share the small screencast I've
recorded for Murano Metadata repository. I would like to share with you
what we have in Murano and start a conversation about metadata repository
development in OpenStack. Here is a link to screencast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4gC4ZhvPg Here is a
link<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano/SimplifiedMetadataRepository>
to a detailed specification of PoC for metadata repository currently
implemented in Murano.

There is an etherpad (here <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MuranoMetadata>)
for new MetadataRepository design we started to write after lesson learn
phase of PoC. This is a future version of repository we want to have. This
proposal can be used as an initial basis for metadata repository design
conversation.

It will be great if we start conversation with Glance team to understand
how this work can be organized. As it was revealed in this thread, the most
probable candidate for metadata repository service implementation is Glance
program.

Thanks,
Georgy

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> > On Dec 6, 2013, at 10:07 AM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov
> > <gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com <mailto:gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am really inspired by this thread. Frankly saying, Glance for Murano
> >> was a kind of sacred entity, as it is a service with a long history in
> >> OpenStack.  We even did not think in the direction of changing Glance.
> >> Spending a night with these ideas, I am kind of having a dream about
> >> unified catalog where the full range of different entities are
> >> presented. Just imagine that we have everything as  first class
> >> citizens of catalog treated equally: single VM (image), Heat template
> >> (fixed number of VMs\ autoscaling groups), Murano Application
> >> (generated Heat templates), Solum assemblies
> >>
> >> Projects like Solum will highly benefit from this catalog as it can
> >> use all varieties of VM configurations talking with one service.
> >> This catalog will be able not just list all possible deployable
> >> entities but can be also a registry for already deployed
> >> configurations. This is perfectly aligned with the goal for catalog to
> >> be a kind of market place which provides billing information too.
> >>
> >> OpenStack users also will benefit from this as they will have the
> >> unified approach for manage deployments and deployable entities.
> >>
> >> I doubt that it could be done by a single team. But if all teams join
> >> this effort we can do this. From my perspective, this could be a part
> >> of Glance program and it is not necessary to add a new program for
> >> that. As it was mentioned earlier in this thread an idea of market
> >> place for images in Glance was here for some time. I think we can
> >> extend it to the idea of creating a marketplace for a deployable
> >> entity regardless of the way of deployment. As Glance is a core
> >> project which means it always exist in OpenStack deployment it makes
> >> sense to as a central catalog for everything.
> >
> > +1
>
> +1 too.
>
> I don't think that Glance is collapsing under its current complexity
> yet, so extending Glance to a general catalog service that can serve
> more than just reference VM images makes sense IMHO.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Technical Program Manager,