[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Running multiple neutron-servers

Mike Wilson geekinutah at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 23:16:54 UTC 2013

Hi Neutron team,

I haven't been involved in neutron meetings for quite some time so I'm not
sure where we are on this at this point. It is often recommended in
OpenStack guides and other operational materials to run multiple
neutron-servers to deal with the API load from Nova. Things like the
_heal_instance_info_caches periodic task as well as just normal create
requests are pretty heavy. Those issues aside I think we can all agree that
it would good for the neutron-server to be horizontally scalable. I don't
have a handle on the all the issues surrounding this. However, I did report
a bug a few months ago about concurrency and updates to the
IpAvailabilityRanges[1]. There was a fix proposed by Zhang Hua [2] that
seems like it needs more discussion.

Essentially, Salvatore has concerns about patching up a design flaw from
what I gather. At the same time, we still have had this issue since the
initial release of neutron(quantum) and it is still a really big deal for
deployers. I would like to propose that we pick up the conversation where
it left off on the proposed fix and _also_ consider any possible redesign
going forward.

Could I get some feedback from Salvatore specifically and other members of
the team on this? I would also be happy to pitch in towards whatever
solution is decided on provided we can rescue the poor deployers :-).

-Mike Wilson

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1214115
[2] https://review.openstack.org/43275