[openstack-dev] [keystone][heat] ec2tokens, v3 credentials and request signing

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 21:41:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:12:17AM -0600, Dolph Mathews wrote:

> mixture of

> which

> can via
> > >>

> > I thought both of these were "accidentally" introduced in v3 by including
> > the ec2 middleware in the v3 pipeline by default back in grizzly?
> > Essentially making them undocumented APIs. I haven't tested it myself.
>
> Oh, that is useful info, thanks!
>
> I've just tested and the signature validation does work via v3/ec2tokens

> > What's the blocker / what doesn't work?
>
> So there seem to be a couple of issues:
> - There's a keystoneclient bug which prevents you from creating or updating
>   credentials via v3/credentials with a type of 'ec2', I've posted a patch:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-keystoneclient/+bug/1259461
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/61046/
>
> Then with that fixed, you get 500 if you try to validate a request signed
> with an ec2 keypair stored via v3/credentials.  Looks fixable, raised this
> bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1259584
>
> I'll look at a creating a fix for this.

> some

> ec2tokens.

> possible
> > >>

> > As mentioned below, access keys don't necessarily expire, and can be
> > utilized without storing a user identity (you just need to store an OAuth
> > access key & secret key). When generating OpenStack tokens, they
> > impersonate they user who delegated authorization.
>
> Ok, thanks for the info.  But there's currently no way to authenticate with
> a service via these credentials right, we'd need some new middleware?

> credential
> then
> > >>

> > > X509.
> > >
> > > The issue, as I understand it, is that there is no user object to back
> > > that credential.  You don't have a user to execute the trust.
> > >
> > > Note that you should not be deriving a credential from a trust, you
> should
> > > be linking a trust to a credential.
> > >
> > > The KDS code base has a similar problem.  We need a longer term
> credential
> > > service for internal components of Open Stack.  KDS is going to do it
> with
> > > symmetric keys, which might serve your needs. This is usually done via
> > > Kerberos in enterprise deployments.

> delete

> can use
> on the
> > >>

> > The current implementation basically requires you to exchange an OAuth
> > access token for an identity v3 token -- we don't have middleware to
> > validate OAuth-signed requests like we do for identity API tokens
> > (auth_token).
>
> Ok, so for our in-instance use-case that means we need the OAuth tokens and
> keystone credentials to get an ordinary v3 token?  Which for our use-case
> defeats the purpose of having the OAuth key, so it's a non-starter.

No, there is no "keystone identity" whose credentials you would need to
store. It's just OAuth access key + secret key. OAuth alone effectively
becomes a means of authenticating with keystone. It's already scoped to a
particular project with limited authorization, as well.

I assume this affects your basis for asking the next few questions so I'm
going to skip them...

> Based on the info you've provied, it sounds like we can probably get
> ec2tokens auth working via v3, which is great, but we are *very* keen to
> provide an "openstack native" alternative, for folks who don't want to use
> the ec2 stuff.
>
> What about the idea of just making token expiry optional for trust scoped
> tokens?  Then we could just use existing auth_token middleware.  Is that a
> totally dumb idea?

> I'm just thinking it would be really great (from a user-of-keystone
> perspective) if we could avoid further fragmentation and just have one type
> of shared secret (a keystone token), which can be configured flexibly
> enough to satisfy the various use-cases?
>
> The alternative seems to be some new middleware which can authenticate
> requests via $some_other_credential_possibly_oauth signed requests.

I'd like to have this bit anyway :) (to replace "openstack tokens" with
some form of PKI-based OAuth that happens transparently for end users).

> Steve

-Dolph